The global vials and ampoules market size is anticipated to reach USD 13.4 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 10.5% from 2021 to 2028. The market is predominantly driven by the rapid growth in the pharmaceutical industry mainly in emerging markets such as India and China. In addition, the COVID-19 pandemic has created a huge demand for vials and ampoules globally. The production of the COVID-19-vaccine at a large scale in various nations across the globe has significantly impacted the market scenario.
Key Insights & Findings:
- The glass material segment contributed to a revenue share of 77.5% in 2020. Glass is the most extensively used packaging material in the pharmaceutical industry owing to its properties such as non-reactive, non-corrosive, reusable, and recyclable properties
- The plastic segment is anticipated to grow well during the forecast period 2021 – 2028. Plastic vials are cost-effective, durable, and lightweight. Moreover, plastic gives design flexibility. Such factors are increasing the demand for plastic material in the manufacturing of vials and ampoules
- India is the second-largest market for ampoules and vials in terms of value in Asia Pacific. This is due to the huge production of generic medicines in India. India is the largest supplier of generic pharmaceutical products in the world. Moreover, the recent outbreak has increased the demand for vials and ampoules in India
- Pharmaceutical companies such as Serum Institute of India and Bharat Biotech have developed the COVID-19 vaccines i.e., Covishield and Covaxin. The production of these vaccines is on large scale, which further requires a huge number of vials. Thus, India is one of the major markets for vials and ampoules in recent times
- Among the product segment, the ampoules segment accounted for a majority of the revenue share in 2020. Ampoules are low-cost compared to vials. In the pharmaceutical industries and hospitals, doctors normally give 1ml to 3ml of vaccines to a patient which mainly comes in the ampoules format
- The key market players are utilizing their full capacity and rapidly increasing their production capacities due to the increasing demand for vials and ampoules in the manufacturing of COVID-19 vaccines. For instance, in November 2020, Schott Kaisha announced an investment of around USD 14 million in its existing production facility to increase the vials production capacity by 300 million pieces
Read 120 page market research report, “Vials And Ampoules Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Material (Glass, Plastic), By End-use Industry, By Product, By Size, By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2021 – 2028“, by Grand View Research
Companies such as Pfizer, Serum Institute of India, among other several biotechnology and pharmaceutical manufacturing companies are consistently doing R&D and developing vaccines with greater efficiency against coronavirus. The government of various nations has aimed to vaccinate the majority of their country’s population by the end of 2021. Thus, vials and ampoules manufacturers are ramping up their production capacity multi-folds. India is among the top worst hit nations in the world. Moreover, the government of India is aiming to vaccinate the majority of the 137 crores Indian population by the end of 2021. This, further accelerate the demand for vials in India.
Various vials and ampoule manufacturing companies such as Schott Kaisha and Gerresheimer India are scaling up their capacity in India. For instance, Gerresheimer India is planning to increase its capacity by 30.0%. Companies are developing hybrid plastic and glass vials and ampoules with increased durability and low cost. Such innovations by the market players are expected further increase their product demand in the global market.
Grand View Research has segmented the global vials and ampoules market on the basis of material, end-use industry, product, size, and region:
- Vials And Ampoules Material Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Vials And Ampoules End-use Industry Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Food & Beverage
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
- Vials And Ampoules Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Vials And Ampoules Size Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Vials And Ampoules Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- North America
List of Key Players of Vials And Ampoules Market
- Schott AG
- Gerresheimer AG
- SGD SA
- Nuova Ompi SRL (Stevanato Group)
- NIPRO Corporation
- Piramida d.o.o.
- APL Solutions Pvt. Ltd
- Crestani srl
- Pacific Vials Manufacturing Inc.
Check out more studies related to pharmaceutical packaging, conducted by Grand View Research:
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Market – The global pharmaceutical packaging market size was valued at USD 107.0 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4% from 2021 to 2028. Growing penetration of retail pharmacies in developing regions and a rising focus on brand enhancement and product differentiation by pharmaceutical manufacturers are anticipated to drive market growth.
- Pharmaceutical Contract Packaging Market – The global pharmaceutical contract packaging market size was valued at USD 28.2 billion in 2019 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.1% from 2020 to 2027. Increasing stringent quality requirements and outsourcing of pharmaceutical packaging to contract packagers in emerging countries are expected to drive the market over the forecast period.
- U.S. Depyrogenated Sterile Empty Vials Market – The U.S. depyrogenated sterile empty vials market size was valued at USD 2.37 billion in 2017. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period. Technological advancements in pharmaceutical packaging, rapid expansion in the pharmaceutical sector, and the rising number of clinical laboratories are some of the primary growth stimulants for the market.
Browse through Grand View Research’s coverage of the Global Plastics, Polymers & Resins Industry
Gain access to Grand View Compass, our BI enabled intuitive market research database of 10,000+ reports